Arrive in the new world of work
For many people, the corona pandemic has not only turned their private lives upside down, but also their everyday work. Home office is popular – and has been for months. There is no end in sight for now, so you have to make the most of the situation and adjust to the new world of work.
What is important in the home office
- Anyone who works at home needs the right furniture and good equipment What exactly you need, of course, depends on your job. Basically, for example, your monitor should be big enough, and your computer and internet should be fast enough, for example for video conferences. Finally, you should sit comfortably so that you don’t get the instinct to flee after a short time.
- There should be enough space for changing work postures It is best to set up a permanent place at home where you can work while standing (height-adjustable tables or standing desks help). If possible, do not constantly switch between the kitchen, balcony, bedroom, and sofa. The reason: You mentally automatically link the specified space with your work and thus separate the leisure area in the rest of the apartment.
- A sensible sitting position is important In principle, the workplace at home should meet the same requirements as the workplace in the office. You can use the following rule of thumb to determine whether the table and chair height match your body size: Sit at the table with your upper body upright, place your forearms on the table – the upper arm and forearm should then be at a 90-degree angle to each other.
- Set yourself clear goals every day and define work blocks For example, you can work with to-do lists to give the home office day a structure and to complete the most important tasks. It is also important to adhere to the working hours. It is essential to plan breaks in the fresh air so that you do not run the risk of burnout.
- Communicate regularly with the boss and the team Social contacts are important – also and especially in the home office. Short online meetings help to exchange ideas about current problems or nice experiences. A joint coffee break is also possible via video chat.